Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wrestlemania One Match Wonders (Part 1)

First of all, I once again apologize for my lack of activity yesterday, as frankly I was too tired and had a hard time coming up with something to post about. However, I'm going to try and make it up to you over the next couple of days. How, I don't know, but I'll think of something, by God.

Anyway, tomorrow is the 26th Wrestlemania, the WWE's biggest card of the year, where legends are made and all of that crap. Normally, I usually don't watch Wrestlemania, and this year will be no exception, as I don't have 55 dollars to pay for it and besides, The Amazing Race is on. However, I did want to write about something relating to the big show (not that Big Show) and my first plan was to review each Wrestlemania main event 1-25. I changed my mind once I realized that I would have to see that horrid Sid Undertaker match from Wrestlemania 13 again, and frankly, I just did not want to subject myself to that again. So I came up with another idea, to watch and review a few Wrestlemania matches in which one of the participants made their only Wrestlemania appearance. So today, that's what I'll be doing. Let's get this party started.

Match 1: Christian vs. Diamond Dallas Page (c), European Title Match, Wrestlemania 18

This would be Page's first and only appearance at Wrestlemania, as he left the WWE a month after this match. Christian is announced as being from Tampa, FL, in spite of the fact that the match is taking place in his hometown of Toronto. Guess we know who the heel is. Page comes out to a decent response. This takes place during DDP's motivational speaker gimmick, which by this point was starting to get over a little bit. These guys did not have a lot of time, so most of the match is power moves and a quick foray to the outside for some brawling action. At one point, Christian was on the top rope, when Page climbed to the second rope and performed a diving overhead throw, with DDP flopping face first on the mat. Don't see that too often. Page used a discus clothesline, which Jim Ross called a "almost a discus like ...punch ... clothesline". Page hit a nice looking sitdown powerbomb on Christian that nearly got a three count. At the end, both men tried for their finishers, but Page won out in the end, hitting the Diamond Cutter for the three count. Afterwards, Page praised Christian for not throwing a temper tantrum in spite of losing in front of 67,000 people. Predictably, Christian threw a tantrum. Match was decent, even though it was only six minutes. I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5.

Match 2: The Orient Express (Sato & Tanaka) vs. The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty), Wrestlemania 6

This would be one of these teams' only Wrestlemania match, try to guess which one. This is the inferior version of the Orient Express, as the second team with Paul Diamond and Tanaka was much better. Then again, Sato is actually orient, so it makes more sense than putting a Canadian under a mask and present him as Japanese. This match is rather average, as the Rockers didn't seem terribly interested in the proceedings amd the Orient Express were just an average team at best. Tanaka hit a crazy looking move where he started with his back towards Michaels as he was coming off the ropes, than did a twisting jump and used his palms to knock Michaels down. Michaels and Tanaka were in for most of the match, with Jannetty getting the hot tag towards the end. The Rockers hit a terrible looking double dropkick (mainly Jannetty's fault) and also messed up their double superkick spot early in the match. The end came after Mr. Fuji distracted Jannetty. Jannetty gave chase, only to get salt in the eye from Sato. Jannetty then stumbles around and even trips over the guardrail. The match ends in a countout, with the win going to the Orient Express. Decent match, but these two teams had better matches than this, whether with Sato or Diamond. I'll give this a 2.1 out of 5.

Match 3: Adam Bomb vs. Earthquake, Wrestlemania 10

The match starts with Harvey Wippleman (Adam Bomb's manager) arguing with ring announcer Howard Finkel, who for reasons I won't get into, is wearing a toupee. Wippleman insults him, until Finkel finally has enough and shoves his antagonist to the ground. This brings out the Bomb, who threatens Finkel until Earthquake comes out to start the match. Earthquake hits a belly to belly suplex and a powerslam, before finishing off Adam Bomb with his finisher "the big one". Earthquake gets the win, and poor Adam Bomb's one Wrestlemania appearance lasted 30 seconds. Tough break.

I'm getting tired, so I think I will finish this tomorrow. So stay tuned for part 2 of The Canon Review's tribute to Wrestlemania's One Match Wonders. Thanks for reading, and if you have a match fitting this category that you would like to see me review, than leave a comment before Sunday afternoon at about 1 o'clock. Or if you have any ideas for future reviews, than let me know by leaving a comment or by e-mail at KtheC2001@gmail.com. Here's a video of one of the reviewed matches right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment