Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Canon Review on a pack of 2010 Topps Baseball

I just got home from work, but before I did, I bought a pack of 2010 Topps Baseball from Wal-Mart because, well, that's where I work, so it makes sense. So, like just about every baseball card blog ever, I'm going to open this pack up and make smarmy comments of the people on the cards I just bought. Ready or not, let's do this thing.

#60 David Wright - I'm conflicted here, as on one hand Wright is a good ballplayer, even though his power dipped last year. On the other hand, he's a Met, and the Mets suck. Maybe the Mets will be stupid enough to trade Wright to the Braves after Chipper hangs his cleats up. Since this is the Mets we are talking about, I wouldn't put it past them.

#135 Ryan Dempster - Dempster's a pretty good starting pitcher who also happened to be a good closer when given the opportunity and he's Canadian. He also plays on the Cubs, but we can't all be perfect.

#54 John Lackey - There's a bend in the upper left corner of the card, which really sucks. Actually, there seem to be a few with bent corners, which grinds my gears. I mean, I spend 2 dollars on a bunch of cards that are probably worth 50 cents, and their all bent. That's not cool. Anyway, Lackey recently took a lot of money to be the Boston Red Sox' third starter. Nice work if you can get it.

#284- Ross Ohlendorf- Ross pitches for the Siberia of baseball, the Pittsburgh Pirates. He had a decent year last year, and is a bit of a media favorite because he graduated from Princeton and is a pretty sharp guy. Perhaps when's he done, Ohlendorf can become one of ESPN's 115 baseball analysts, although he's probably too smart a guy for that postion.

#4 National League Batting Leaders- This card has pictures of the NL's top 3 leaders in batting average, which are Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandovol, and Albert Pujols. They're all great, but I bet you didn't know that Miguel Tejada was eighth in the league in batting average, and Nyjer Morgan was 10th. That is, if you know those people at all.

CMT-6- Frank Robinson 1957 Topps- This is a reprint (the front is, the back has information about the card and player on it) of Frank Robinson's rookie card. In case you don't know, Frank Robinson was one of the greatest hitters of all time, and his rookie card is worth hunderds of dollars. This card will probably be worth about 10-15 cents, at most, especially because of the bent corner.

Topps Million Card Giveaway- All right, I got a code for an older Topps baseball card. Chances are it will something I already have, like a 1991 Topps Jeff Montgomery or something, but maybe I'll get lucky. Since these codes come in one in every six picks, I was somewhat surprised to get one. I wonder what card I will get.

TTT15- Miguel Cabrera - This is basically a code to become a member of Topps' internet site, Topps Town. I think I'll pass, as I just don't have the time and interest to join yet another online community. As for Cabrera, he's a potential MVP Candidate, if he can curb his alcohol consumption.

#229 - Daniel McCuthen - Dang it, I was hoping for Daniel's teammate and namesake Andrew McCuthen instead. Well, them's the breaks. Daniel's a mid level prospect at best for the Pirates, whose best hope of making the big leagues on the major leagues is in middle relief or a back-of-the rotation starter. This is his rookie card (or so they say) but there's not a lot to get excited about here.

#166 Eric Byrnes- Byrnes had two good years for the Diamondbacks, signed a 30 million dollar contract with them, and promptly went out and played terribly in 2008 and 2009. Now Byrnes is trying to come back to his previous form with the Mariners, but I would bet against that happening, no matter how hard he works.

#285 Kurt Suzuki - Suzuki was on three of my four fantasy teams last year. Part of that was due to performance, and part of that was due to the fact that there aren't a whole lot of good catchers fantasy-wise, so I drafted Suzuki low and never found a suitable replacement for him. Suzuki is a good hitter though, as he drove in 88 runs and hit 37 doubles last year.

#239 Juan Uribe - Juan's uncle is former Giants shortstop Jose Uribe, and now Juan plays on the Giants. What a coincidence. Juan's a 230 pound middle infielder who is one of the few Giants power threats, therefore he will get a lot of playing time even though he doesn't really have a consistent place to start. Don't expect him to slug at a near .500 clip this year, though, as last year's success was a bit of a fluke.

And now, finally, the moment I've been waiting thirty minutes for. A chance to register for Topps' Million Card giveaway and get my 18th copy of a 1990 Topps Allan Anderson. So I put in the information, put in the nine digit code and what do I get but a 1988 Topps Carlton Fisk. On the one hand, I already have this card, but at least Fisk is a Hall of Famer, so it's not all bad. Here's a picture of the card, courtesy of the Topps website:


Well, thanks for reading, and if you have any ideas for future posts, than let me know either by leaving a comment or by e-mail at KtheC2001@gmail.com. I'll try to have something up later today, but I can't make any promises, so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment