Monday, January 10, 2011

Canon Review List-A-Mania: The Top Eight Potato Chips and other Salty Snacks

Hey, the Super Bowl is only four weeks away, and with the Super Bowl comes Super Bowl parties that will be held all across this great nation and possibly other great nations as well. On Super Bowl Sunday, some millions of pounds of chips and other salty snacks will be consumed by hungry football fans and their friends, spouses, children, pets or that one person at every party who is only interested in watching the commercials. So, that got be thinking about potato chips, and after eating some, I decided to compile a list of the top eight potato chips and salty snacks in my opinion. So, without further adieu, here are The Canon Review's top eight potato chips and other salty snacks. Any of these would be quite welcome at my Super Bowl Party, that's for sure.

8. Tortilla Chips - Tortilla chips are usually associated with Mexican food, but a good tortilla chip can go with just about any type of sandwich, or makes a great snack on their own. Add a little salsa or some nacho cheese with some good tortilla chips, and you've got one heck of a good tasting snack. While Tostitos are the most well known type of tortilla chips, personally I don't have a brand preference for tortilla chips, as most of them that I've had pretty much taste the same, so it's all good.

7. Lay's Potato Chips - A classic potato chip for many years, Lay's potato chips have been a favorite of mine for many years due to it's fresh and flavorful taste. While companies like Tom's and Brim's make a similar chip that I have no problem eating with a sandwich, to me they fall just short of capturing the same flavor that Lay's has. Also, I must mention that of the many different flavors that Lay's have come out with over the years, my personal favorite would have to be the K.C. Masterpiece Lay's, as the chips combined a strong barbecue flavor with that classic Lay's taste.

6. Cheetos - These cheese-flavored cornmeal curls are packed full of cheesy goodness, although it does kind of suck that your fingers are all orange after eating those suckers. The original flavored Cheetos are the best in my book, although some of the other different flavors like Wild White Cheddar aren't too bad. Also, I'm not a big fan of those thick cheese puffs. Now, you might think they're similar because they have the same flavor and all, but I just can't eat those things, as it's not the same. Actually, I'm not even sure as to why I don't like those cheese puffs, but ever since I can remember, I stay away from those things like Grizzly Adams stays away from a razor.

5. Ruffles- The chips with ridges, Ruffles taste about the same as Lay's, I suppose. But there's something about the ridges that seems to make the chip more flavorful. It's also much thicker than Lay's and a little less greasier as well, so that's why it ranks ahead of Lay's. The original flavored Ruffles are the best in my book, although the barbecued flavored Ruffles aren't too bad either.

4. Baked Lay's- Yes, I did have Lay's on here earlier, but these are not the same as Lay's as they are baked, have hardly any grease on them and have a similar texture and taste to Pringles. I have found that Baked Lays are a great compliment to a sub sandwich, so every time I go to Subway or another sub shop I end up picking up a bag of Baked Lays to enjoy my sandwich with. Plus, Baked Lay's are low in fat, so that's always a positive.

3. Pringles- The chips that come in a can, Pringles have a unique taste, flavor, and shape that makes the chip so darn appealing to me. The can makes the chips stay fresher and keeps the flavor in longer, although it's damn hard to get a chip out of the can once you start running low. Pringles also come in many flavors, with the pizza and cheddar flavored Pringles being my personal favorites.

2. Chex Mix - Unlike the other items on this list, Chex Mix isn't really a 'chip' per se, which is why I had to include the other salty snacks phrase to the list. Actually, Chex Mix isn't all that salty, but nevertheless. Every piece of this snack mix, from the pretzels to the peanuts to the pieces of Chex, work in perfect harmony, making Chex Mix a top-notch snack that can be enjoyed on its own or with other foods like a sandwich. My personal favorite is the cheddar flavor Chex Mix, as I could eat that stuff as a meal of its own, and I actually have on several occasions. Yes, I could eat Chex Mix every day for the rest of the year and not get tired of it, but it's not quite number one on this list.

1. Doritos - Put it this way, if I was forced to have one type of chip for the rest of my life, then I would have to choose Nacho Cheese Flavored Doritos. Yes, Doritos come in other different flavors, some of which are better than others, but the right chip for me is the Nacho Cheese flavor. These tortilla chips are coated in nacho cheese flavor and just the right amount of spices, giving each chip a strong flavor that leaves me wanting more after every bite. Yes, all the other snacks are quite good, but they just fall short of the awesomeness that is Doritos.

Well, thanks for reading. If your favorite snack was omitted from this list, or you have a different opinion than mine on the snacks listed above, then I'd like to hear (so to speak) your thoughts on this matter. So feel free to leave a comment. Also, if you have an idea for a future topic for The Canon Review to cover, then send them my way either by leaving a comment or by sending me an e-mail at kthec2001@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment